Thursday, May 3, 2007
World Press Freedom Day
In 1993, the United Nations passed a resolution declaring May 3rd World Press Freedom Day. No, I'd never heard of it, either.
The more I thought about it the more I like the idea. Wouldn't it be something if journalists everywhere were free to report the news honestly and unfettered?
-- North Koreans might finally learn that humans have been on the moon.
-- The Burmese, whose country has been brutalized and renamed Myanmar by a military junta might learn that the world has not forgotten them. But then news from Darfur, Sudan might lead them to think differently.
Nevertheless, as much as the American press gets wrong, it gets far more right; often embarrassing us by reporting our own foibles and gaffes. However, without a free press, corruption would be far greater and we might settle into a complacency that would allow unscrupulous types to grab control.
Happy World Press Freedom Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment