My first childhood pet was a mixed breed, abandoned puppy who wandered into our backyard and started pulling freshly laundered sheets off the line -- not a good way to win over our Mom. Nevertheless, after much pleading and whining by my older brother and me and a notice in the local paper that was never answered, we got to keep him.He was a free spirit in every sense of the word. He'd wander off for days at a time and return with a smug look on his face. We figured he'd sullied the reputation of a pure-bred dog somewhere in town. Other times, he'd come home with injuries, clearly from fighting another dog or two and once from being hit by a car.
Laddy was our protector and accomplice in our many excursions to the "wild side" -- on the bluff between two sets of commuter railroad tracks, the beach and through the territory of a nasty, standard poodle that liked to bite. If Laddy had wandered ahead or behind us, once he heard our yelps, he'd come like a barking streak of white and brown lightning to drive away the predator.
One of his favorite pastimes was finding the most disgusting smelling matter and then rolling in it. Several times it was dead fish on the beach. An unusual event left mounds of Budweiser Clydesdales' poop in our intersection. He looked positively ecstatic coating himself with the nasty, but warm glop. Of course Mom had to deal with these "unpleasantnesses." She'd throw on an apron, grab him in whatever fashion she could and dump him into a wash tub filled with warm water and Tide detergent. If it wasn't for Mom's naturally loving nature, Laddy probably would not have survived as long as he did. Of course my brother and I also had to pay a price for Laddy's indiscretions.
Memories of Laddy started flooding my mind when I started watching The Dog Whisperer on the Animal Planet channel. To my utter horror and ever-lasting shame, I came to realize that we'd done everything wrong with him! Rather than willingly coming to our sides or into the house, he'd dance around just out of reach. When he finally relented he'd get a smack. No wonder he didn't want to come to us!!
I just hope God has a special place for pets and that Laddy is spending eternity rolling in whatever he wishes to. I also hope he knows how much we loved him and how fondly his human family remembers him.
"There are many paths to enlightenment. Be sure to take one with a heart." --Lao Tzu, "Tao Te Ching"
2 comments:
While the following may seem a little corny, I think it puts into words the type of unconditional love that only a dog can give. I have long since forgotten the author, but here it is anyway -
"Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
When it is cold and wet, please take me inside....for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements...and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth...though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land...for you are my god...and I am your devoted worshiper.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.
And beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands."
. . . .tears, lots and lots of tears. . .
Post a Comment