Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Early Adventures With Alcohol

Today [I know, I said it was yesterday. Well, I was wrong, OK?!] is my niece's 21st birthday and she just emailed me that she and some friends are going out tonight to buy her first, legal, alcoholic drink. Now she's no boozer, so it'll probably be a beer or two. Anyway, this reminded my of my first, formal alcoholic drink. I have to put it that way because when I was perhaps 15, I was allowed a glass of wine during a family dinner at a friend's house. Not wishing to appear uncool, I worked very hard to keep a straight face. We were told all about it's vintage and all the adults oohed and aahed with their first sips. I, on the other hand, thought it tasted dreadful and barely choked it down. Not even the slightest little buzz could induce me to finish my glass. About three years later, during my first Thanksgiving home from college, my parents treated me to an elegant evening out in Chicago. I dutifully dressed in stockings, heels and my first basic black dress which, in my case, was navy blue cuz I don't like to wear black. Mom and Dad had given me a Borgana coat for Christmas before I went away to college, so I felt quite elegant in my fake fur and heels. When we were seated at the Four Seasons by a tuxedoed waiter, I knew I was way out of my league. Still, I wanted to prove I was grown-up and capable of handling myself appropriately in these circumstances. When the waiter returned to take our drink orders, Mom and Dad ordered a glass of Harvey's Bristol Creme Sherry for me. ALRIGHT! Gonna get a buzz on -- with my parents . . . ?! With the first sip, I thought my mouth would turn inside out. It tasted the way paint thinner smells! An 18-year-old-palate just isn't ready to appreciate that kind of thing. I thought I saw the slightest smirks on my parents' faces, but chose to ignore them and was grateful when the bread and butter was served! Through gritted teeth, I got down every drop of that disgusting stuff and was just a tiny bit wobbly walking out. We then attended a marvelous performance of "Man of La Mancha" during which I developed a huge crush on the lead, Richard Kiley. Don Quixote is such a sympathetic character . . . or was it the booze talking? ;-O

No comments: