Thursday, January 2, 2014

Sloe Gin Balls

Several years ago my older brother and his wife were coming to visit. I knew what he liked to drink, but had no clue about her tastes. Told that she liked sloe gin fizzes, I scrambled to the liquor store to buy supplies.

What did she choose to drink? -- ginger ale. I’m not one to force booze on anyone because I hardly touch it myself. As I handed her a glass of ginger ale, I started wondering what I could do with the sloe gin. Today it came to me.

For Christmas I usually make Jack Daniel’s Balls. [I know, yuck it up all you want.] This time around I decided to use the sloe gin instead of bourbon.

The recipe is incredibly simple.

2 cups finely crushed vanilla cookies (I use Nilla Wafers)
6 oz. chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbs. light corn syrup
1/3 cup bourbon or sloe gin
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

I crush the cookies in a food processor. Noisy, but easier. You can also do it in a zipping plastic bag with a rolling pin. Melt the chips in a medium sized microwavable bowl for about 40 seconds then remove and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the sugar and corn syrup. Tip: I squirt a bit of nonstick spray in the measuring spoon to make the syrup slide out and not stick. Add the booze, nuts and crumbs. Mix together then roll into walnut sized balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar. I did not use nuts this time because I didn’t have any and they turned out well.

As is true with women, these improve with aging in an air tight container. [No, don’t put your woman in an air tight container. She likes to breathe and move about.]

Happy January 2nd!

 

1 comment:

Janney said...

o yum! I just saw this!