Friday, April 27, 2012

Body Language

A recent experience reminded me that I have to control my tendency to be open and friendly with everyone, including strangers. Even though I’ve lived in the “big city” of D.C. for 40-odd years, my innocently friendly Midwestern roots sometimes trip me up.

Doing laundry in our complex’s laundry room, I sat down to wait for the machines to fill and start chugging away, before returning to our apartment. In walked a worker who helps keep our building clean. I smiled and he smiled back. I turned my attention back to the washing machines. Then . . . .

With a bright smile on his face, he started chatting in Spanish. I admitted I had studied it in school but remembered very little anymore. Since he spoke no English I thought that would be the end of it. Then, chatting away, he propped himself onto a table next to me, putting his crotch at eye level. I had to suppress a snicker.

I don’t think men are always aware of it, but this position reminds me of dogs who present their backsides to each other in greeting. If you watch any of the YouTube welcome home dog videos, the dogs nearly always turn their backs to their owners to “prove their identity.”

Women have an equally unsubtle way of attracting attention to themselves. Lowering her eyes to peer up at a man through her eyelashes, she draws attention to what I call her “chestal area.” She unconsciously props her boobs up a little higher and squeezes them slightly with her arms to accentuate her cleavage. She KNOWS how much males love mammary glands.

It’s really a matter of spreading one’s pheromones; those subtle, powerful fragrances our hormones produce to attract the opposite sex. If you ever people-watch, see if you don’t notice these subtle shifts in behavior, particularly among the younger, unmarried set. We humans really haven’t evolved all that much.

Happy Weekend, Y’all!

1 comment:

Mark said...

LOL, love this post and you are so right. I'll be watching.