Monday, January 16, 2012

A Taste of Summer

As usual, Spouse and I did our grocery shopping on Saturday.  It really felt like winter because the previously warmish temps we'd been having were down into the 30s with a wind.

The first section we enter is produce.  We spend an inordinate amount of time there enjoying the colors and scents of fresh produce as we try to buy out the department.  This, time however, before we could get past the store's floral section, a bunch of yellow and peach colored roses shouted out to me.  Normally, I wouldn't be so weak-willed to splurge on something that will last only a few days, but something was different that Saturday.  Maybe they needed rescuing from their cooler; I don't know.  I just knew that I needed them as much as they needed me.

We continued picking and bagging our usual choices when, to my wondering eyes, I saw the produce guy loading a shelf with those absurdly expensive tiny, half-pints of fresh red raspberries.  Something snapped in my brain and I thought "to hell with the price, I must have raspberries!"  Spouse, half smiling, made a face like I was out of my mind, but into the cart I gently placed those "berries from the gods."

It was time for lunch when we returned home, so Spouse ate his beloved steamed broccoli, tomato and whole wheat toast.  I carefully opened the plastic box, gently plucked up a plump, red berry and placed it into my mouth.  The fragrance as it rose to my lips took my breath away and the feel of its sweet, round nodules against my tongue was sensuous.  When I finally released the juices from its plump, ruby red body by pressing it to the roof of my mouth with my tongue . . . . .  well, it was a taste orgy bursting with the pleasure of summer.  My raspberry lunch lasted a satisfyingly long time.

It is now Monday evening and the memory of this is still wondrously fresh.  I think every woman deserves to indulge in a little lascivious snacking during winter.  Don't you??

No comments: