Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oh, to be a fly on the wall!

Christopher Hitchens died just in time to cross other-worldly paths with the secretive, odd North Korean dictator, Kim Jong Il. I'd love to witness the fireworks!! Maybe they're sharing a bottle of Kim's favorite cognac -- they both loved booze.

In addition to having a quick, brilliant mind and sharp tongue, Hitchens made as many enemies as he did friends. He used words like boxing gloves. I didn't always agree with his opinions, but he certainly put great effort and thought into expressing them.

He was a devout agnostic, passionate about his beliefs and not the least bit shy about taking on equally rigid religious fanatics. I admired his fighting spirit against huge odds.

Numerous tributes to Christopher Hitchens prove that he had a heart as well as a poison pen. I'm thinking that, privately, his enemies will miss him as much as his friends.

Bottoms Up, Hitch -- wherever you are!

P.S. I just discovered that I was born on the same day as Hitch, but I haven't decided whether or not I'm proud of that coincidence.

No comments: