Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Drinking From a Swimming Pool

That's what it smells like anyway. For the next three months or so, our tap water will smell and taste like pool water. Every Spring, the authorities switch from chloramine, used to kill cold weather germs, to chlorine for warm weather germs. I have no clue about the chemistry, so I have to accept that the switch is necessary. I don't have to like it though. Taking a shower is no longer a pleasant, relaxing and/or invigorating experience. The smell of the water makes me gag. One advantage, I suppose, is that I use far less water because my morning shower is now a quick in and out event before I barf. Having grown up drinking the sweetest water on Earth from Lake Michigan, I'm spoiled. The Potomac River just doesn't cut it in so many ways! The water filter manufacturers must really appreciate this annual ritual. Hmmm -- maybe I should look into buying their stock . . ..? Oh, and, did you hear that Constitution Avenue is going to be repaved? That'll be fun . . .

2 comments:

Mark said...

The water issue does NOT sound like fun. But the repaving will be a blast for sure.

dcpeg said...

Since the Secret Service closed Penn. Ave. in front of the White House and E Street behind it, Constitution is a main drag for getting across town. It really needs repair or resurfacing, but there's gonna be a lot of ticked-off drivers!