Sunday, December 19, 2010

HUGE mistake / tiny correction

Though I applaud The Washington Post for correcting it's mistakes in print, at times I'm appalled by the way in which they do it. The following appeared at the bottom of page 2 in the A section today. Until now, I haven't gone looking for corrections to earlier stories, but now I'll make a routine of it.
A Dec. 15 A-section article, about the requirements of the new health-care law that Americans buy insurance, incorrectly said that, according to estimates by congressional budget analysts, the federal deficit would increase by $250 billion over the next decade if the mandate were removed. The analysts predict a decrease in that amount.
Confusing plus or minus $250,000,000,000 is not simple semantics. It's a huge mistake and should have been addressed as such! If you ask me, this called for something far more upfront than a bullet point among six other corrections. I have learned to live with the regression in the paper's attention to grammar and spelling, but this sort of thing is inexcusable. Come on, Post editors: you can do so much better than this.

2 comments:

Mark said...

oops! Just a small difference huh? That should be on the front page.
Have a great Christmas Peg.

dcpeg said...

Thanks for your comment, Mark. I'm sure this sort of thing happens at other newspapers, too. Just can't understand how they can treat something as wrong as that so lightly.

Hope you enjoy Christmas, too. If I remember, you'll be on the tug, but I'm sure "your ladies" will be in touch from the home front.