Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's not so much a matter of free speech . . .

. . . as it is a matter of respect, humanity and conscience. Those who demonstrate their hatred and disrespect for others, particularly during tragedies prove how little connection they have with real life and with the God they profess to follow. I'm no Bible-totin'-quotin' type. I had to dust off my fifty year old Revised Standard Version before opening it for the first time in years. Just wanted to refresh my memory on the ten commandments and came across this in Exodus 22:21-24.
"You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. You shall not afflict any widow or orphan. If you do afflict them, and they cry out to me, I will hear their cry; and my wrath will burn, and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall become widows and your children fatherless."
Seems to me this promises pretty dire punishment for what some of these self-described Christians are doing. If they take the Bible as the literal word of God, they might want to reexamine their actions. For those who have been subjected to this sort of disgraceful behavior [which really is all of us who deplore it], take heart in knowing that ultimate justice is not in our hands, no matter what the U.S. Supreme Court decides. What goes around comes around. Evil will always be overpowered by Good.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Beautifully put. And I totally agree.
I have actually stopped myself so far from posting about this subject, the protesters at the funerals,because I get too angry when I see it on the news. The fact that this subject hits closer to home now because of the son in law and all, has something to do with it.
I can't believe they are doing that. Simply put, if I were to come across such a protest, I would end up in jail for sure.

dcpeg said...

Thanks, Mark. I had to heavily edit what I was thinking. I've decided these far-out fringe groups don't merit my attention. ALTHOUGH I would like to join a team to stone them!

Like that creep in Florida who wanted to burn Korans, these groups should lose their legal status as religious organizations. They are thugs and cons who need to find their own planet -- far, far away!