Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's been quite a day!

Today is my niece Nan's birthday. She lives in southeastern Wisconsin. When she didn't answer her cellphone or home phone I freaked. I was just sure she'd been swept away by the storms out there. Thankfully, she wrote this evening that she was taken out for a birthday lunch and everything was fine.
I have family living in northern and southern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Hearing about the devastating storms out there -- perhaps the worst in 70 years -- I couldn't help worrying. So far I've been assured that everyone is OK and no one's house was damaged. I can breathe easy again.
Happy Birthday, Nan! I think we both could have done without all the excitement.
The picture is of a solid, 3 foot circumference acrylic sphere I saw at Ann Marie Gardens in Solomons, Maryland a couple of years ago. It was spellbinding! Wish I'd made a note of the artist's name.

4 comments:

Janney said...

Glad to hear your niece is ok! Havn't heard about the storms there... hope there's not too much damage...

dcpeg said...

Thanks, Janney. It was probably the largest single storm system in our history and it spawned numerous, damaging tornados, rain and high winds. D.C. was under a tornado watch for much of the day. Thankfully, that's over now, but it's still hot and humid. The temp will probably drop 30-40 degrees by Friday.

Mark said...

So glad to hear all is well, it's just natural to worry, isn't it?
And...I would love to see rolling thunder in DC, my wife was actuallt there last year by accident, said it was incredible.

dcpeg said...

Thanks, Mark. All the news shows were making the storms sound like Armgeddon!

Hope you get to see Rolling Thunder sometime, but your future-son-inlaw's welcome home must have been a blast, too!