Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A welcome coolish front rolled through this evening.
It brought with it dark clouds I hoped would drop some rain and fire works on us, but no such luck.
As I sat on the balcony, basking in the very brisk breeze, I thought I caught a whiff of someones barbecue -- just the hot coals.
Light colored leaves torn from their trees
rolled and fluttered like tiny canaries.
Crows seemed to bask in the power of the wind to hold them aloft with no effort on their parts.
Swallows were less graceful as they precariously swooped,
searching for insects that
probably had taken shelter.
Passengers on planes landing at National were probably experiencing some exciting turbulence though I couldn't see it from my vantage point.
I could imagine those daring passengers who unbuckle seat belts and stand in the isle well before they reach the gate were feeling a little foolish -- for once.
Since D.C.'s ban on plastic grocery bags, I didn't expect to see the one that went wallowing by, settling in a pretty, little cypress bush.
I look forward to the day that no more trees, shrubs or buildings will be decorated thusly.
As darkness descended the night noises started -- little chirpers and peepers.
Haven't seen many lightning bugs this year. Hope that's due to my fading eyesight and not that they are disappearing.
D.C. is magical at night.
The amber colored street lights mellow the white marble buildings that appear so grand during the day.
Townhouses and apartment buildings
lit from within humanize a city that is all business during the day.
Sidewalk cafes come alive, offering passersby savory aromas
and good cheer.
Dogs walk their owners.
Thanks to the low profile of our city, the Washington Monument is
like a beacon
reminding everyone where we are --
Washington, D.C., the Capitol City of the United States of America.

2 comments:

Mark said...

That was beautifully written. And I agree in hoping in the future your trees are bag-less. Great law they passed there.
Your description of your beautiful city, how it looks at night compared to day, the city coming alive at night, all perfect. From my many visits there now, you captured the feeling just perfectly.
I'm so glad Erin moved to Adams Morgan, I love visiting that city.
I've adopted it as my second "home city", I hope thats ok?

dcpeg said...

Welcome home, Mark! Happy to share with anyone who loves D.C. as I do.

I appreciate your grasp of what I was trying to relay. Too often the only things that people think of when they think of D.C. are the monuments and massive federal buildings. As you and Erin know so well, there's a whole lot more to our home town.