Thursday, March 4, 2010

Catching Up

Hello, my loyal fan! I'm back. . . On Monday Mom had arthrosocopic surgery on her knee to get rid of torn cartilage that had been causing her serious pain for the past few weeks. It was disconcerting for her because she was awake during the procedure. The doctor decided a local was enough. She didn't feel pain, as such, but the sounds and awareness of what was happening were not fun. Monday night was pretty dreadful for her. As soon as the local wore off, the serious pain set in. Even vicodin didn't make much of a dent in it. The next day, we agreed that perhaps the darvicet she'd been taking for the pain before her surgery might be better. It was!! It was still difficult getting around, which her doctor wants her to do, but she was able to sleep. Mom is a woman who doesn't eat when she's hurting. My purpose in staying with her was to make sure she got some nourishment and didn't try to do too much too soon. Thankfully, she likes Trader Joe's soups of which I'd brought three, so she managed to get some down each day. As is family custom, we needed something sweet afterwards. At her suggestion, I'd come with a half gallon each of chocolate chip coffee and peppermint ice creams. Oddly enough, I'm the only member of my family not crazy about ice cream. Nevertheless, I kept her company by digging in to some of the peppermint. By day three, yesterday, Mom was moving with more grace and fewer grunts and groans. She is one tough, strong-willed 85-year-old-lady!! We both had mixed emotions when I decided to get back home last evening. I was so homesick for Spouse and my own bed and -- thankfully -- she understood. She said all the right things to reassure me that she'd be fine on her own, with help from her marvelous friends and neighbors who'd been there for her since before my Dad died. She did nothing to lay a guilt trip on me; I am perfectly capable of doing that to myself. Mom sounded almost cheerful when I phoned her this morning. She's always been a very gracious hostess and I think it was a little hard for her to get out of that mode, even though I'm just one of her five kids and there simply to look after her. I hope it is a relief to have her house back to herself. We both know my sister Janet who works fulltime and lives closeby is available in a pinch and I'm just a phonecall away. Mom: if you've finally figured out how to find my blog and are reading this -- I enjoyed our "girl time" together and wish it could have been under different circumstances. Please try to take it slow and let your friends and family do for you. From your own experience, you know how good it makes one feel. To my sibs: please don't hold it against me that Seal took a liking to me. It's taken months of visits to get her to come out from under Mom's bed and into the world. Maybe she decided I was OK because I was temporarily feeding her. [Seal is Mom's paranoid, very pretty kitty who never comes out when ANYONE other than Mom is around.] Hope y'all have been doing well without my brilliant, mind-bending input! ;-} More later. . .

2 comments:

Nan said...

Excellent update, AP! One tough chick for sure!

dcpeg said...

Thanks Nan. The week ended with even more "excitement." I'm ready for a dull week!