Friday, December 11, 2009

Outrageous or What?!

Ever since law firms started advertising on TV, litigation has spiraled upwards to ridiculous levels. There have always been "ambulance chasing lawyers," but a personal experience still leaves me angry. Several years ago, Spouse and I were hit by a car full of young women. Turned out they were half of a bridal party headed to the wedding of one of them. No one was hurt and I was more concerned about the distraught bride and her friends than I was about our trunk full of thawing groceries. The police and fire departments arrived, collected required info. and checked out everyone involved. By then friends had arrived to drive the girls the rest of the way. A tow truck pulled their crippled car out of the intersection and I drove our dented car back home. Within less than two hours, two different law firms phoned to see if we wanted to sue. Yeah, right -- like we were going to sue a distressed, young, college student over an accident! Accidents are unintended incidents of bad luck -- not deliberate acts. Before I could fully explain this to each "vulture" they hung up on me. Tax cheats seem to be the new favorite for TV-advertising-law-firms. There is more than one out there promising to save thousands on what people owe to their states or the IRS. Actual clients candidly and gleefully testify to getting 90% knocked off of their tax bills. Who is being cheated here? THE REST OF US! The lawyers get their percentages and the cheats pay a fraction of what they owe. The rest of us honest, tax-paying schlubs are left to make up the difference. We're talkin' billions here and they get away with it because of loopholes in tax laws. Now the commercials urge the cheats to hurry before the laws change. This cash cow may not last long, so hurry-in to get your piece of the pie! Only in America. . . . *sigh* P.S. I've had way too much time on my hands because I did catch what Spouse had and it's taking longer to get out of my system. My self-pity parties always seem to churn-up stuff like the above. Forgive . . .?

4 comments:

Mark said...

No need to apologize. I understand your frustration with those commercials.It's out of hand.
Hope you feel better soon.

dcpeg said...

Thanks for your remarks, Mark. I just hope I'm not the only one who gets angry at those commercials. It's so unethical, it stinks!!

I'm working on my 5th batch of chicken soup in a month. Hate the stuff, but it seems to help fight illness. . .

Two Shorten the Road said...

Did you know DC is one of the only places in the US that still legally allows ambulance-chasing? Crazy.

I hope you feel better!

dcpeg said...

Megan -- No, I didn't know that. At least there's hope if ambulance-chasing is disallowed elsewhere. Wonder why it's still legal here. Congress probably had a hand in it.

Thanks for your good wishes. I seem to get bronchitis every darn winter. . . *sigh*