Saturday, December 19, 2009

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning . . .

. . . Oh What a Beautiful Day! Finally -- the one and only District of Columbia is getting a decent snow!! [left photo taken at 9:40 last night / right one was taken at 9:40 this morning] I'm an anomaly in this town [in the whole region probably] because I'm delighted to see the snow. I wouldn't even mind shoveling it -- IF I was healthy and IF I needed to -- one more advantage of apartment living. I will admit that big snow storms are not for everyone nor even necessarily always fun. Losing electricity, water or other side-effects of heavy snow soon take the joy out of it. [Growing up in northern Illinois, I can't tell you how many times I had to take a birdy-bath by candle light in a frigid room with frigid water!] Also, if snow accumulates more than four inches, our Civic's chassis gets hung-up on the unplowed streets. This is the only time when I wish I had one of those big, honkin' SUVs with four wheel drive. I'd be out there toolin' everywhere with a big, evil grin on my face. I LOVE driving in snow! Why, I'd even volunteer to pick-up doctors and nurses and drive them to and from hospitals! But . . . since we don't own a big, honkin' SUV with four wheel drive, footin' it is the best way to go and I'm so ready for it. In a previous post, I mentioned that I'd bought real, rubber galoshes several years ago and have NEVER been able to use them. NOW I can! Snow is a gift from God. Freshly fallen snow: -- makes everything look clean and sparkly. -- muffles sound giving us a respite from noise. -- forces us to slow down and to be mindful. It also makes us realize that those otherwise invisible public works guys are heroes. So get out there and thank those plow truck and salt truck drivers -- they're workin' their tails off! Then go back in your cozy home and appreciate that you have one.

3 comments:

Mark said...

It's nice to get a good snow, huh? Unfortunately for my wife, my daughter, as you know, I think, lives in Adams Morgan, and was planning to come home today. I dont the leaking LaBaron will make the trip. She needs a "big honkin" SUV.
Do you put your feet in a plastic bag to make entering the galoshes easier. I remember those days

dcpeg said...

Ha - didn't know about the plastic bag trick! Have to try that.

Durn -- sorry your little girl can't get out of town today. I hope that, by Monday, we'll have a semblance of normalcy. Have to keep our fingers crossed.

Two Shorten the Road said...

How much did you end up getting?