Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dope

There's a reason narcotics have that nickname. Anyone who uses them recreationally truly is stupid. They turn brain cells to mush and movement slow-motion. But . . . . . . I thank goodness for them, too. Here's why. Tuesday morning, as I toweled off following my shower I felt a stabbing pain in my left hip and numbness in my leg. I couldn't imagine what had hit me. My mind came up with some scary scenarios. One of my grandmothers had been walking down the driveway to get the newspaper when her hip broke and she fell. The doctors confirmed that it happened in that order -- weird. Being considerably younger than her when that happened, I decided that was not it. As the pain worsened and caught my breath, I thought of a hairline fracture. Calling 911 seemed too extreme, so I called my doctor's office. Choking back tears and sitting on hold after responding to way too many recorded questions, I got an appointment in two hours time -- amazing! Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead in public without make-up or styling my hair. I actually debated whether or not to risk streaking mascara or going without. The latter plan won. I was in too much pain to care about going out with damp, crooked hair and no war paint, bent over at the waist. Gasping and groaning, tears shamelessly running down my face, I drove myself to the doctor's office. Sitting straight up is the only position in which I find comfort, even taking Percocet and high dose Motrin. At this point I'm more pissed-off than pained. Christmas is in two days and I'm barely mobile -- perfect timing! I feel like such a dope . . .

5 comments:

Nan said...

BUMMER AP! I hope it disappears/heals soon!

Mark said...

Sorry to hear that story, and what timing huh?
Hopefully the "dope" you took will stop the pain long enough to begin to heal. Hope your up and around soon. Happy Holiday to you, I hope you can still enjoy it.

Alex said...

So what was the cause? I hope you feel better soon and glad your doctor gave you something to tide you over!

dcpeg said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

My doc thinks sciatica was brought on by hard coughing brought on by the bronchitis I've had for almost three weeks. If I could, I'd trade this ole bod for another one!

My holiday spirit done got up and went . . . Hope you all will have an extra cup of spiked punch for me!

Two Shorten the Road said...

I wondered if it was sciatica! I had that when pregnant last year and had to miss a friend's wedding. :( I am so sorry that happened to you and I hope you're getting better.