Friday, November 13, 2009

A Case of Selective Compassion

If all life is sacred, how can Catholic Charities and perhaps other religiously affiliated service organizations threaten to abandon those who need them most? This is what is being threatened here, in D.C. Next month, the D.C. Council will vote on whether or not to endorse same-sex marriage. If they vote in favor of legalizing such relationships, Catholic Charities has said it will no longer accept D.C. funding to help our city's neediest. I can only hope this means they have other funding sources to fulfill their humanitarian mission. Frankly, I don't understand this thinking inasmuch as mankind is supposedly created in the image of God and we are all His children. How does it become OK for a group of people, who claim to be Christians, to decide that some of His creations are unacceptable? I am appalled that any religious organization could shun or abandon anyone. Homosexuality is not a choice. Science has proven that genetics dictate gender identity. Besides, as I've argued before -- why would someone deliberately choose to be a social pariah? Humans are fallible, even those who like to believe they are superior. Men and women, whether or not they identify with their physical bodies, are still human. I cannot imagine God, sitting on His throne in Heaven [or however you picture Him] picking and choosing who is worthy of legally sanctified love and devotion from another human. I may be struck my lightning after I post this, but that's what I believe.

6 comments:

Mark said...

http://www.nsvrc.org/publications/reports/grand-jury-report-philadelphia-archdiocese-clergy-sexual-abuse-scandal

As a guy who has 12 years of Catholic school under his belt, I feel,
They have absolutely no right to have ANY opinion about ANYTHING regarding this subject. Copy and paste above link to see where my anger comes from.

dcpeg said...

I read the info. you referred. This kind of thing is going on all over the country and yet "The Church" still has loyalists. Unbelievable!!

I dearly hope you were not a victim. That said, your anger is totally justified when children--anyone's children-- are abused. To think that this has gone on for hundreds of years just makes me want to barf. I think forced celibacy has a lot to do with it. It simply is not natural!

Nuns and priests alike can't help but be screwed-up with the warped ideas spouted by their church.

Sorry I got a little carried away and I'm Presbyterian. Our church music director was a child molester and married, so go figure! They come in all shapes and sizes. I just wish he'd been caught and punished before he died. Like so many things connected with organized religion, there were limits to what adults were willing to believe from their children. THAT burns me up, still!!

Alex said...

I think the whole celibate priesthood thing probably guarantees that a disproportionate number of people who opt for that path have serious sexual issues.

dcpeg said...

Oooo -- Alex, I do believe you hit the nail on the head! Certainly, if they didn't have serious sexual hang-ups before they went "into the church", they certainly had them after being there for a while.

Two Shorten the Road said...

Lifelong Catholic here. I just think that God made gay people too. I hate the intolerance.

Mark said...

It's interesting the strong feelings the subject of religion stirs.
Thankfully no Peg, I was not a victim. I don't know what it is, other than the obvious, that gets me so angry. I think its the lies. I woke one Sunday,relatively recently, opened the paper and saw a front page story about my parish pastor. he was, and this is now fact, one of the guys who moved the sick, sadistic priests from one parish to another, hiding them, rather than prosecuting them.
These same priests looked down on little ole me from their mighty righteous throne,for 12 years, telling me how to lead my life. Give me a break.I called my Pastor that morning he made the front page, demanding a explanation. He talked to me like I was still an altar boy. I hung up, after sharing with him my feelings, and that was the last time I voluntarily stepped foot in a Catholic Church.
Saw recently where Australia just prosecuted a couple hundred priests. What the heck is going on??