Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wuzzhappnin?

It's October 21st and I'm sweatin' like I've been playing basketball. However, being that I do not play basketball, I cannot use that as an excuse. It's just too daggum hot today!
This time of year, we get the full, southern sun and the balcony is warmer than the rest of the apartment. Nevertheless, where I'm sitting in the living room it feels like about 90 degrees! Now, I know it's gonna cool off precipitately tomorrow and Friday, but still . . .
Summer in our neck of the woods has always had a twisted sense of humor. She sometimes arrives before Spring has a chance to show up and roasts us well into November! Autumn sometimes succeeds in pushing Summer out of the way for a few days, but soon enough Summer barges back in.
The one, redeeming grace for today is that THE LADY BUGS ARE BACK!! Since late this morning, they've been fluttering by in huge numbers. I put out a little plate of water for them, with a rock in the center so they won't drown trying to drink. [Lady bugs do drink water, don't they?] Anyway, it felt like the right thing to do.
As the sun angles down in the west, it's easier to see the little ladies swooping and sweeping through the air. I have no idea where they're headed, but they don't seem to be in much of a hurry. I hope they'll hang around for a little while. They're so cute!

No comments: