Thursday, October 15, 2009

Not the Life for Me

Spouse and I live across the street from a member of Pres. Obama's cabinet. He comes and goes with a security detail. Most often, I notice him coming home late in the evening nearly every day of the week. This kind of schedule is a sacrifice that I would be extremely reluctant to make. Even if I was solving the world's problems or bringing about world peace, I might wither into an incoherent lump under such pressure. My working life was rewarding and allowed me to feel that I was helping to improve the lives of others. Nonetheless I craved and truly required downtime to recharge my batteries and rebuild my enthusiasm for what I was doing. Serving those less fortunate than myself or who had been victims of dreadful events took a toll on my soul. Leisure provided temporary respite. Certainly, there are those working in the administration who love claiming their tiny piece of the action working for a world leader. They are the people who ease the president's burden by doing the grunt work for him. He lives in the most secure house in the country and travels with ease and comfort. Knowing that his security people would give their lives to save his must be comforting and troubling at the same time. I think back to when President Reagan was shot outside the Hilton. A secret service agent took a bullet that, had it hit it's intended target, could have killed Reagan. His press secretary, Jim Brady was grievously wounded, proving it can be dangerous just to be near a president. It takes an uncommon person to want to be the POTUS. Those who work with him must be of similar calibre to withstand the demands of the job. I salute them and am glad I'm not one of them. Back to the gentleman across the street: I hope you take time to read a novel, bake cookies, contemplate your navel, or whatever makes you happy. Life is too short to sacrifice every minute of it to work.

4 comments:

Alex said...

I have met a few political types in my life and they are definitely cut from a different cloth. If you look at the Myers-Briggs definition of extrovert, "energized by the outer world of other people," such people are extroverts in the extreme. Look at the boundless restless energy of Bill Clinton since he left the Presidency... such people don't know what to do with downtime.

dcpeg said...

You're so right, Alex! I guess there is a place and need for all types.

Bill and I are about the same age and I cannot imagine where he gets all his energy. More power to him!

Two Shorten the Road said...

It sounds like s/he is a person who lives to work, rather than works to live!

[F]oxymoron said...

I often think these types of people are just crazy - though Alex is probably onto something. Extroverts are very, very different from introverts in the amount of time they need "alone".