Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I've been thinking. . .

. . . I know -- that's a dangerous thing, but hear me out. The issue of gays in the military has been bugging me. [I will use "gay" to refer to homosexuals, lesbians, transgendered and bisexual persons.] When it was first proposed, Don't Ask, Don't Tell seemed like a good compromise, but it still leaves gays feeling unwanted and endangered. I should think they would also feel insulted. Sexual orientation does not dictate a lack of personal responsibility or self-control. Whether one believes in evolution or creationism, gays have always been part of the human population. Contrary to what some would have us believe, being gay is not a choice. Sexual orientation is determined before birth. Besides, why would someone choose to be a social outcast? So the question seems to beg: How did American troops deal with gays during the American Revolution? or the Civil War? or any other conflicts we've engaged in? We've all read stories about women who dressed like men so they could fight their country's enemies. Seems to me the issue is of personal integrity and respect for other persons, not whether someone is gay or straight. Passion to protect one's country is not limited to straight people, so I think gays should be welcomed into our military as they are in most other nations.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mark said...

I just came across a commenet from you I had to screen before posting. I didn't know I had that. I didn't know I had it set up that way.
I don't want to screen anyones comments, especially yours. i apologize for not catching that sooner.

dcpeg said...

No apology necessary, Mark. I'm afraid lots of us know just enough about blogging to get into trouble one way or another and not how to get out of it. ;-}