Friday, June 5, 2009

A new way of greeting?

I ran into an acqaintance this afternoon. We haven't seen each other in a while, so I looked forward to catching up with him. We exchanged kisses on both cheeks and then he slapped me. For a moment I was stunned then I gently slapped him back. He smiled and said he slaps everyone. My expression, by that point was a grimace trying hard to be a grin. Is this something guys now do? This kind of greeting is new to me and, frankly, I can do without it. I've never had a female friend do it. I'm really stumped. This particular gentleman is usually very gracious and is a product of good breeding. Does the fact that he's a sailor have anything to do with this behavior? Nah . . . I'm from a family of sailors and not one of them has ever greeted me in this manner. Thoughts, anyone?

2 comments:

Foilwoman said...

Sorry, but gentleman is the wrong descriptor for this rube. Breeding or no, sailing or no, anyone who slaps you, well slapping him back is a good idea. Walking away is another one. What's with a greeting that makes someone uncomfortable, isn't friendly, and might just hurt?

dcpeg said...

Thanks for yout enlightening comments, Foilwoman. I was just so surprised that I couldn't think straight.