Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's Been A Scary Few Days

Spouse and I have been glued to news reports from Iran, concerned that his family members there may have been caught up in all the turmoil. It's impossible to get a phone call through, so we're sitting on pins and needles. It's incomprehensibly dreadful to see what the Iranian government is doing to it's own people!! It's even worse than when the Shah was over-thrown. If that wasn't enough, Sunday evening Mom phoned to say my youngest sister, Janet was being flown by helicopter from Calvert Memorial Hospital to Georgetown Hospital. She had been sick for a couple of days, but by Sunday morning had no strength to say "no" when her husband insisted she go to the emergency room. Her blood pressure was 83 over 47 and her temp was close to 104. At the hospital, they also discovered that her white blood cell count was off the charts. They had so much trouble trying to find a vein for an IV line that her arms are bruised from hand to elbow. Finally, they put a line into her femoral artery and started pumping in fluids to get her pressure up. An array of antibiotics and steroids seem to have done their job to fight the blood infection. It was a close call. Monday, shortly after I came home from seeing my sister at the hospital, the horrifying Metro rail crash was all over the TV. So, adding to my worrying about my sister and how her husband and two sons were coping with her situation, sadness and pain for the families and friends of the Metro crash victims took over. The human body just isn't cut out to handle all that trauma at one time! I've developed bronchitis so am pretty much useless to do anything but cough, wheeze and moan pathetically. Thankfully, Janet just phoned to say that she is being released this evening. Now that's the kind of news I want to hear!

4 comments:

Mark said...

wow, that is a lousy few days. I hope your sister recovers quickly. It may take some time for Iran to get it together.
The best of luck to ya

dcpeg said...

Thanks for your sympathy Mark. My sis will be on antibiotics for a while, but she's alive!

Foilwoman said...

Glad your sister is home safe and sound. It has been an absolutely craptastic week; let's hope for a continuing and rapidly improving trend.

dcpeg said...

Foilwoman - you pegged it -- it was a craptastik week!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for better times.