Saturday, May 16, 2009

Going Solo -- part 5

When Carolyn and I went to the Blue Talon Bistro for dinner Friday night, I was still full from the nuggets, but didn't want to be a spoilsport. As each waiter came to flirt with her, I eyed the menu trying to figure out what to order. Carolyn ordered the meat loaf and I ended up with a chicken mushroom crepe that will live in memory forever -- it was THAT GOOD!! Of course it was laden with cream and felt like a lump of lead in my stomach, but I was disappointed that I couldn't finish it. Damn those nuggets!! Waddling back to the car, we drove to her dorm and sat in her tiny single room chatting: me asking embarrassing, personal questions -- her working hard to avoid answering them. All too soon, her beau arrived with a friend. They were scrounging supplies for a barbecue at another friend's newly rented house. A little small talk and I knew it was time for me to depart. Before I left, Carolyn offered to meet me at the hotel early the next morning for breakfast before I headed back up to DC. I knew she was just starting a long night with her friends and had plenty of studying to do so I tried to talk her out of it. Of course I wanted to spend more time with her, but one goes to college only once and I didn't want to be a big wet blanket during her last few days on campus! Being her mother's daughter, she insisted, so we met at 8:30 Saturday morning for breakfast in my hotel and parted with hugs and kisses in the lobby. It hurt my heart watching her go because I knew it would be a long time before I see her again. Days after she gets home to Illinois, she'll be leaving for a job in Anchorage -- ALASKA!! She's very excited about it, but her large and extended family will miss her bigtime. Did I mention she's going to Anchorage? . . . the one in ALASKA!!
-- to be continued --

No comments: