Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Going Solo -- part 2

Today's greater Williamsburg bears no resemblance whatsoever to what it was 30 years ago. Even though we found a "Williamsburg Pottery" on a tourist map, it wasn't at all what I expected. It was somewhere in a nearly abandoned shopping center (?) of warehouses selling everything from day-old Pepperidge Farm baked goods to "native arts." We walked to most of the buildings, but the heat and humidity were intimidating enough that I talked my niece into cancelling the search for said pottery place. Of course we spotted it as we drove out, but the car's AC felt too good at that point.
I dropped Carolyn off at her dorm to shower, change and get to her parttime job. That evening I took her and her beau to their favorite Mexican restaurant for supper. I was going to order a Corona, but when Carolyn ordered a frozen Margarita, I knew I had to try one. I'm so glad I did!!
Since they both had papers due that night, we ended our evening early. I returned to my hotel room happy to have spent quality time with such adorable young people.
The next morning I drove Carolyn to her physical therapy session. She had a really gruesome knee injury playing pick-up basketball in March and it will be months before she can even run again.
Her session was in a tiny room inside a huge sports complex outside of town. I cringed watching her torturous looking exercises. In another part of the building I discovered 3 and 4 year olds learning to jump, skip, run -- forwards and backwards -- and balance on a ball all in preparation to learn to play soccer. They were just TOO CUTE!! An energized little girl in pigtails reminded me of Carolyn's mom, my younger sister, when she was little. My sentimentality gene really got a workout during this trip!
-- to be continued --

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hahah I love the action shot! :)

dcpeg said...

Thought you might. Didn't want to reveal too much. . .!