Sunday, May 17, 2009

Going Solo -- epilogue

Despite construction on I-95, I arrived home at noon just as I'd promised Spouse. As soon as I walked in, he greeted me with dirty laundry, an empty refrigerator, a long hug and lots of kisses. I put down my bag, drank a glass of water, then we headed out to the grocery store. It felt good to be back home and even better when we cut into a watermelon Spouse chose. It was as good as any late summer melon, so we ate some for lunch and I took a nap while he watched the Cubs or Caps, or some other team on TV. We both slept like rocks Saturday night. I can't speak for other couples, but neither of us sleeps well when the other is not there. We went to bed early and got up late. I feel guilty about not driving down to Mom's in Solomons for Mother's Day, but I was exhausted. The rest of Sunday, I sat on the balcony enjoying a spectacular May day and watched for Spouse to come back from a run on the Mall. He came home energized and happy. As always, he'd met interesting people and enjoyed watching the tourists and little kids watching the ducks and geese. To top it off, I'd cooked his favorite pot roast. We both relaxed knowing that we were safe at home and together again. That may sound predictable and boring, but for old fogies like us, it's contentment. Oh, did I mention that Carolyn's going to Alaska . . . *sigh*

No comments: