Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Digital vs. Analog

As odd things sometimes do, I was struck by the fact that I can tell time faster and more comprehensively by looking at an analog clock rather than a digital one. Could be because I learned to tell time on an analog clock. Nevertheless, an old fashioned clock provides more subliminal information. A digital clock only reveals numbers -- 10:43 or 2:16, etc.. The face of an analog clock lets me know the relationship of the time to a twelve hour period. Allow me to explain. . . Looking at a standard clock at 8:45 in the morning, visually I am aware that I have a quarter hour left before I have to be at work. A digital display simply states the time in glowing digits; it doesn't relay the time's relationship to the hour at hand. In any case, the analog clock is prettier, don't you think? ;-)

No comments: