Saturday, October 11, 2008

How To Kill A Mocking Fruit Fly

Spouse's and my retirement savings have been pummeled in recent weeks. We've lost tens of thousands yet I remain optimistic that THIS calamity will turn around. In any case, I just don't want to think about it 24/7. Fruit flies, on the other hand, are proving to be an everlasting pain in the butt! I'm not sure just which piece of fruit we brought home spawned an over-population of the little, black buggers. I've tried Heloise's suggestion of putting out bowls of apple cider vinegar mixed with dish liquid. A single fruit fly, probably the village idiot, drowned. The others continue to sweep back and forth and around my head. Dad used to be good at catching flying insects in his big hands, but I am not as gifted. I've had a little success with wet hands, but the availability of water and the over-splash don't always coincide in a convenient fashion. Rinsing out my oatmeal bowl in the kitchen sink yesterday, a fly buzzed me and landed on a cabinet next to the sink. Good source of water and no problem with over-splash! Got the cabinet, but not the fly. Then it dawned on my -- maybe they know when I'm coming because I look directly at them. This morning -- same routine, but no eye contact. GOT the little bugger! Seems they don't notice peripheral vision. Chalk one up for a not-so-dumb-blonde!

No comments: