Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Listening to 60s music on XM radio. . .

They're playing the Credence Clearwater's version of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." Out of the blue, I was reminded of a party during the late summer of '69 at a house in Northeast. It was rented by several Catholic University students and was surprisingly nice. I was a little younger than most everyone there and fresh out of the Midwest. Entering this groovin' group was intimidating, but they were kind to me because I'd come with a cool grad student. [Thanks again, Tony!] The CCR song brought back memories of that party because we totally exhausted ourselves dancing to their version. It was considerably longer than the Motown original. On that sultry, late summer night in a house filled with hip college students spilling out onto the front porch and yard I started to think living in DC might be OK afterall.

1 comment:

Foilwoman said...

Sixties music: almost up there with gospel. And I really wanted to thank your for your kind and thoughtful post over on DC Blogs.