Friday, June 20, 2008

Maybe I need a tiara or Groucho glasses . . .

When I took our laundry down to wash it, I was the only one there with virtually all of the machines empty. I felt lucky. As I was loading two machines, a young man walked in. He totally ignored me until I turned and said "good morning." He grunted a response and went to loading his machines. OK, maybe he was grumpy from lack of sleep or had a hangover. As we went about our business, a young woman entered. I turned and smiled at her and she walked right past me without a glance, staring at the young man. Neither of them spoke. She seemed interested, but he didn't take notice of her, though she was unloading a machine two away from his. After flinging her laundry into a dryer she was gone. I left before he did and decided not to try to converse again. Have parents so inculcated their children with fear of strangers that they won't acknowledge anyone they don't know? These two looked to be in their early twenties and capable of taking care of themselves. I think I have a friendly demeaner and I certainly don't carry weapons, hidden or otherwise. Could it be my gray hair that's off-putting? Aging is not contageous though we all end up old -- if we're lucky. Ah, well. I'll keep trying to make my neighbors feel welcome in our apartment community. If they don't respond, that's their loss. For all they know, I might be a millionaire wanting to share the wealth - or - I could be in a position to hire or fire them some day. . .

No comments: