Monday, June 2, 2008

I know I'm not alone . . .

. . . when I check the obituaries in my daily newspaper. Having lived in Washington for nearly 40 years, it's still shocking when I recognize someone who has just died. I don't look for specific names, but faces practically shout from the page, particularly when it is someone my age or younger who has died. After my Dad died last November, I was disappointed that only a simple, short, paid, death notice was published in the Washington Post. No picture, no information on his substantial contributions to the world of hospital design and construction or the fact that he was a past-president of the Washington Chapter of the Circumnavigators Club. There was so much more that could have been said than just listing his survivors. When an obituary is the last piece written about a person, shouldn't it at least mention accomplishments, both professional and personal and something about what made the person unique and special? Granted, friends and family have their memories, but what about those who didn't know the person? I LIKE reading about other's adventures and tragedies in life -- they are inspiring. Archives hold history from which future generations can research and learn. Giving credit for one's life challenges and accomplishments isn't too much to ask for as a brief, personal archive. Today would have been Dad and Mom's 63rd wedding anniversary -- quite an accomplishment IF anyone else knew their roots, goals and dreams and how they came to terms with them. I know these things and understand how fortunate I am to have been raised by them.

No comments: