Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gershwin with WOW

My mission was to buy a DVD of Finding Nemo for my nephew's birthday. Since the Borders Books in Falls Church was close to other errands I was running, I stopped in. Videos, DVDs, and CDs are on the second floor. I found Nemo [the DVD that is ;-)] then cast a glance at the CDs. Big mistake. I enjoy just about every kind of music and easily could have spent the rest of the week there. As long as I can remember I've been a huge fan of George Gershwin's music. I've even been a bit of a snob about it, preferring his arrangements to anyone else's. Phil plays Gershwin quite well as did my late Aunt Bev, who gave me a book of some of his compositions. Either her expectations were totally unrealistic or she was trying to torture me -- either way, I've forgiven her. Hours spent trying to actually PLAY his music were frustrating and largely fruitless -- he was beyond genius and I'm nowhere close. I'd heard some two piano versions of Gershwin's stuff and thought I'd try to find a CD. A nice clerk diddled on the computer and came up with Gershwin, "I Got Rhythm," Music for Two Pianos by Katia and Marielle Labèque. It was recorded in 1987 by this pair of French sisters and I regret not finding it before now. What they do with "Our Love is Here to Stay" is phenomenal! I think George would approve.

No comments: