Friday, February 8, 2008

I just want to say that . . .

. . . not all white people are out to screw people of color! I had an incident the other day in which I was automatically accused of causing it by someone calling herself a witness. The other driver's "witness" was a belligerent black woman who seemed determined to protect the other driver, who also was black. Past experiences may have convinced her that white people couldn't be trusted, but it hurt and angered me to think this woman automatically saw me, a white woman, as an enemy. I had no witnesses and the driver who actually triggered the accident was long gone. I've lived in downtown DC since 1971 and travelled throughout my city. I've seen the stunned looks on young black mens' faces when I've stopped to ask for directions -- a lone white woman, at night, in a neighborhood where she didn't belong. Without fail, each offered excellent directions and I got to my destinations. The sting of discrimination hurts whomever it's aimed at. I don't know the woman, yet I understand her need to protect a brother. I also pray for the day we will be able to get beyond suspicions based solely on skin color. Whether one believes in evolution or creationism, we are all related. ALL of us need to work harder at embracing that fact.

2 comments:

nutmeg96 said...

Peg, a similar thing happened to my dad last month. He ended up having to go to court about it (because the cop who eventually came placed himself clearly on the side of the other party, and didn't take a statement from my dad). Luckily, my dad was found not guilty of a traffic violation in the accident, but he was really shaken up over the whole thing.

dcpeg said...

That's just not right! Your dad couldn't make a statement?!! Some call this reverse discrimination, but it's just plain old discrimination and its UGLY whatever it's called!!

Thanks for writing!