Friday, November 9, 2007

Just Keep Breathing

Despite the muffled hum of traffic, the only sounds penetrating the stunned silence are the soft cadence of a little clock and my mother's voice echoing in my head -- hospice. We knew the time would come, but kept pushing it farther and farther away. Just yesterday Janet and I planned the menu for Thanksgiving dinner at Mom and Dad's. Today I pray that we'll all still be together by then. Tears sting my eyes at the thought. During the last several weeks, I've found myself randomly weeping. Guess I'm still trying to prepare myself for the inevitable. I read somewhere that tears carry away toxins, so I let them flow when I'm alone. The weather seems to match my mood -- chilly, cloudy and still. Where do we go from here. . .. . one day at a time.

No comments: