Friday, October 12, 2007

Stunned

You know how it feels. Maybe you receive a glancing blow to the head and you're momentarily disoriented. You're not quite sure what happened but you try to pass it off because you weren't knocked out, you're not bleeding and maybe you're a little embarrassed by the attention. Still, your bell was rung and you're unsettled. News can have the same affect. I received news last evening that was totally unexpected and unbelievable. How? Why? How bad? When? The sadness of it hits first, then the numbing emptiness sets-in. The flood of tears turns into stillness and the mind goes blank as the ultimate outcome becomes clear. Life is finite, but we're never ready for the end. The task now is to keep my wits about me and to try to be helpful and attentive. Having had a brush with death I now value life and love more than I ever did before. No one is guaranteed another day much less another week, month or year. Each moment is a gift, not to be wasted. I love you, Paw.

2 comments:

startingtoday said...

I am SO sorry to hear about your loss. I went through something similar with a close friend of mine, who passed away suddenly in June at age 25. You never expect it to end so suddenly.

One day at a time.

dcpeg said...

You are so kind to share this with me. You have my heartfelt condolences. It's so unfair that your friend had only 25 years. I can only hope they were happy and fulfilling.