Monday, August 13, 2007

My First Kitchen

When I moved into my first apartment in 1971, it was in a building built in the mid-1930s. It was in a great location, low rent and within walking distance of my first job.

Note the size of the kitchen. It may have been an afterthought because the floor was roughly the size of a small trunk. The sink could hold a pair of shoes and the stove was about half the size of today's models. If you look closely near the bottom of the frame, you will see my antique refrigerator. Yes, it had a wooden door and a center freezer about the size of a lunchbox. The freezer never froze ice or anything intended to be frozen, but it did freeze milk and any fruits stored in close proximity -- which was the entire frig!

Note the stylish color choices -- harvest gold, sunset orange and avocado green. I lived in that apartment for 12 years. I don't know what possessed me to take this picture, but it sure brought on some guffaws when I recently found it!

No comments: