Wednesday, August 8, 2007

It's Still My Body, Right?

If I had a terminal illness and my last chance at a possibly successful treatment was denied to me by court decision, couldn't that be considered endangerment or attempted murder on the part of the courts? OK, having limited knowledge of the law, I let common sense guide me. I still think I have a constitutional right to choose. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit just overturned a decision made by a panel selected by the same court to deal with the issue last year. As simple sense might indicate, this panel determined that terminally ill patients may not be denied access to potentially lifesaving drugs. Not denying access leaves the decision in the patient's hands. Hey, if a dying person wants to participate in an experimental treatment that may or may not work, I say Thank You for helping to further medical science. Of course the decision rests solely in the hands of the patient and should not be coerced either way. If said patient is made aware of all anticipated reactions and possible outcomes and still wants to give it a try, it should be allowed. I leave the legal-eez to those who know about liability and all that. My concern is giving the terminally ill patient a choice, thus a chance.

No comments: